Wednesday 20 March 2013

Day 0 - Start Weight 15st 7lbs (217lbs)

After a telephoned offer to have the first morning appointment, due to a cancellation, I had the session early. The worst part about it was being weighed - I hadn't realized how much the weight has crept back. The therapist said this was no bad thing - the results would be easier to see. I didn't find that overly comforting!

There was a lengthy discussion about the way the mind and body determined what I needed and how this had gone wrong in my case. This boiled down to:
1. Eating too fast by "overlubricating" the food with fluid accompaniments (beer or tea)
2. Not consciously focusing on eating (TV dinners), so not picking up "full" signals.

We then went into what went on in real gastric band surgery, and how the beliefs of the subconscious can override those of the conscious. I knew a lot of this stuff already but I just fully co-operated and listened, even though I wasn't sure of the point.

Finally we got to the hypnosis itself. It was done through headphones, something I don't do with my own clients. On occasion the sound came from the extreme right, which I found uncomfortable - something to do with being very ticklish down my right side, but I went with it.

The induction was a confusion technique, again something I don't use - at one point I was bombarded with suggestions coming simultaneously from left, right and centre - modern technology! Though I found it uncomfortable, I certainly did go into a trance, as I felt the tell-tale signs - feeling tired, heavy limbs, and it felt like 15 minutes when it was actually twice that.

I remember the surgery procedure being described, and other suggestions about enjoying food at the same time. I would rate the depth of trance as being medium, which I was happy with - most other experiences with other therapists have been rather light, with the induction too rushed. I felt like I had been in a trance, so I was happy enough to put up with the slightly uncomfortable-feeling confusional technique.

At the very least, it was a good experience to see first hand how another hypnotherapist does things. I was not converted to the confusional technique (though it's very commonly used in hypnotherapy) or the headphones/mixer technology, which are just flash gimmicks to my mind.

What I certainly did approve of was being given clear post session "homework" instructions and guidance. This was:
1. Continually note my degree of stomach fullness on a scale from 1 (physically faint) to 10 (Nauseous). I was instructed never to let myself get below 3 (Fairly Hungry) or above 7 (Full)
2. I was told to stop having a drink with meals (although before and afterwards was ok) and to put my knife and fork down between mouthfuls, reducing each mouthful to a paste and swallowing before shovelling in the next piece.
3. This was a toughie - don't do anything else while eating - no TV etc - to eat in a meditative way. I complained that someimes I ate with family in front of the TV. I was told I could still do this but I had to be focused on my food. When eating alone I said I would do as instructed, though it would be a slightly uncomfortable change.

I was taught an EFT (finger tapping) technique to do every day to eliminate comfort eating, but I am going to blatantly ignore this, as I don't comfort eat - just unsconsciously overeat. I am already using meditation to keep happy and I prefer to persevere with that.

Finally I was given a hypnosis session on CD to listen to monthly, and was reminded that to eat consciously and meditatively was absolutely essential to success. And that was that!

Lunchtime on Wednesdays is traditionally ribs with Son. I felt like I was already at 6 (aware of Food in stomach) but I eat it ok, though didn't fancy desert and I stayed at 6.

I had a long meditation in the afternoon and went to 4 (peckish) at 1600 I really fancied 1 cherry bakewell, which kept me going until 2040 when I went to 3 (rather hungry) so had a handful of peanuts. That got me back up to 4 which kept me going until bedtime. 




No comments:

Post a Comment